St James, Bramley
St James’ church has a plain, brick built, exterior. The earliest parts date from around 1180 as shown by Norman windows. There is a later, Elizabethan, window in the nave and a brick tower, of 1636-40, on the west side. The porch dates from 1806. The church was ‘restored’ in the 19th century by G G Soane Jun, 1877-8, and Temple Moore, 1884-91. (Source: Hampshire: Winchester and the North (The Buildings of England) 2010)
Photographs, taken by members of the Medieval Graffiti Survey, are shown below.
Each image is linked to a larger version; to see the larger version it may be necessary to allow ‘pop-ups’.
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
|||
| The south front | A consecration cross | Incised circle with wall painting | Initials – T B | |||
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
||||
| Initials with date | A pencil drawn sketch | VV with name Thoms |







